Posted by D*ana
Facebook is 10 years old today.
So here are 10 things I never want to see you post on Facebook ever again:
1. Your naked children. Boys or girls, 1 or 8, most people on Facebook do not want to see your children naked – or even in their underwear. I know you think what they are doing is cute, and it probably is since you are their parents, but those pictures just don’t need to be shared with everyone on your friends list. They just don’t.
2. Your child’s poopie in the potty or puke all over the floor. Shit happens. And when it happens in the potty for the first time it is extremely exciting. Worthy of celebration. In fact I even celebrate every time Rocco sits on his little potty and reads a book even though he has yet to actually do anything on that potty. He does it in his diaper 5 minutes later but that is irrelevant. Nobody wants to see your kid’s poopie. We also don’t want to see their puke. You can tell us the kid blew chunks but please spare us the sight of the actual vomit.
3. Pictures and videos of dead/abused animals. I eat chicken. I eat a lot of chicken. I try to buy chicken that was not abused now that I have read about what happens to animals, but seeing the dead carcasses just makes me want to block it out. And it’s gross. There are just some things that are too graphic for Facebook. I see plenty of graphic pictures of things that make me angry but I just don’t post them. Please stop with the bloody animals.
4. Pictures and videos of abused children. You know what, I know child abuse exists. We all know this. If I see or hear about a child in danger I will call the authorities. I think most of us with a good conscience would do what we could to prevent a child from being harmed. I do not need you to share the latest story of a mother murdering her baby or a video of a child being beaten to know that this type of atrocity exists. I just don’t want to see it. Sharing it does not do anything for that child but it does give attention to the perpetrators. It also causes other people who are just going about their day to be overcome with a feeling of disgust and sadness. Spare us, don’t share it.
5. Your relationship drama. Been there done that. I put a lot of my relationship and other drama on Facebook in the past. It only served to make me look crazy and it made me look like a real fool when I got back together with the person once I told everyone what a douche he was. I will occasionally comment on my personal experience in a private group, but bashing your significant other, or your ex-for-now, or the other parent if you share a child, is just bad. Also, if you are constantly moving from one relationship to the next… We just don’t need to know. We also don’t need to CONSTANTLY see how fantastic and wonderful your significant other is, especially when we know that behind the scenes it is a different story. Don’t be someone else’s “Days of Our Facebook Lives” source of entertainment.
6. Ambiguous posts. “I can’t say why or where or how right now but I really need all the prayers I can get” posts just make people wonder. Yes they’ll hope everything is OK and pray for you if they pray, but then you leave them thinking “what the hell is going on?” and possibly thinking the worst and that’s just irritating and rude! If you can’t reveal the information to EVERYONE ON YOUR FRIENDS LIST then text someone you trust and spill it instead of leaving everyone wondering and worrying.
7. Bodily fluids, cuts, rashes, or anything you need Doctor Facebook to diagnose. Kyla has a pretty gross boo-boo on her knee (she fell off her bike) and I am a little concerned about how it is healing… will be taking her to the doctor soon if it doesn’t look better… But I will not post a picture of it on Facebook because it’s gross! Boogers, blood, busted finger nails, broken bones, if it needs medical attention ask for a nurse to PM you. Before you post a picture like this on Facebook your thought should be: Would I want to see this while I was eating? Because chances are someone who will see it just sat down to eat!
8. More than 25% of your posts solely to promote your business. I have used Facebook to promote radio shows, my website, and things I am selling on eBay/Facebook but unless you are running a business page please try to limit the amount of posts you make about your business. Half my friends are doing the same thing, and some of them are selling the same thing you are, and I like seeing your personal posts but there are just some products I am never going to buy no matter how many times they show up in my news feed. There is nothing wrong with social networking but I like the “social” part of Facebook a lot more than the “networking” part when it comes to ads for things I see over and over and over and over again.
9. Game and app invites. I know sometimes this happens automatically when you sign up but I have no desire to play any of these games or use any Facebook apps. I choose to waste my time on Facebook debating things or going through random people’s pictures, I don’t play games.
10. Racist or homophobic sentiments. You are entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your religion. But it is 2014 and anyone who still believes in racial inequality or inequality based on which gender one happens to be attracted to needs to shut up. There are plenty of issues with two or more legitimate sides to debate, but only fellow ignorant people want to hear about your bigoted beliefs. You are never going to convince people to stop believing in human equality.
10 Things to Keep Right On Posting…
1. Cute pictures of your kids, you, the fun stuff you are doing, as long as everyone is fully clothed and not covered in yucky bodily fluids. I like looking at pictures of happy people.
2. Informational articles. I know some people don’t want to read stuff about GMOs, vaccines, government waste, the environment, Fukishima, and other important matters but if I can say one positive thing about my experience using Facebook it is that I have LEARNED a lot. Whether you agree with my opinions on certain topics or not, it is through the sharing of information on Facebook that has led me to investigate and “self-educate” with regard to parenting, government, health, my overall view of the world, and even less important things like the other side of the Woody Allen-Mia Farrow molestation debate. It’s great how you can post something and someone else can give you a different side of the story and then you can decide for yourself which one makes more sense. So if it is informative, well written, researched, and seemingly legitimate, keep sharing it.
3. Your accomplishments. I like reading about people I care about getting promotions, graduating, or losing weight. I also love hearing about kids making honor roll or seeing pictures of their dance recitals. Keep posting that stuff. The only exception to this would be constantly telling us that you went to the gym/worked out. Not to hate, but it makes me feel lazy.
4. Those someecards things. They are funny. Some of them are funnier than others but usually they are pretty good.
5. Pictures of the snow and ice. I live in Florida. My back slider is open so the fresh 76 degree air can breeze through the house. Sometimes I get a little homesick and wish I still lived up north and those miserable pictures remind me of why I love living here.
6. Truth. Whatever it is you believe to be true, and important, keep posting it respectfully. You never know when you might change someone’s mind for the better.
7. Tributes/posts to the dead. I know some people might think it is cheesy, but I think after 10 years of Facebook we probably all have a friend or two who has passed. In those initial moments of shock and sadness the Facebook page is a way for all of the loved ones to come together in mourning and share information. I have even re-connected with people after seeing that a mutual friend has passed away. Nobody wants to see the sad news on Facebook but at the same time, what is the other option these days? Unless it is a close family member you may not even know until years later if you hadn’t keep in touch this way. I occasionally look at the pages of my friends who have passed and read the recent comments or look at old pictures. It’s like visiting a grave only not as depressing. Nothing wrong with remembering someone you loved and keeping them alive on Facebook forever.
8. Pictures of your life tricks and home improvement projects. I like to see crafty stuff or get new ideas. Not that I have the money, time, or motivation to put most of them into action but we got the idea to put a laundry basket in the bath tub from a Facebook post and it worked well for us for a bit. I also got some inspiration for Rocco’s room from someone else’s pictures on Facebook.
9. GOOD NEWS. Feel good stories, whatever they may be, are much needed to offset all of the horrifying stuff people insist on posting as mentioned in list above.
10. Pictures of your yummy food and drink – but only if you have the recipe. I know this is one of the things people make fun of others for doing on Facebook, but I actually like seeing pictures of other people’s food! I only want to see it if I can get the recipe though. I’ve seen lots of food pictures on Facebook that have led to me getting the recipe and eating something new. I don’t need to see a picture of your Cheerios but if you just made something healthy and tasty (or just tasty) I might want to try it!
Posted by D*ana
So I bet you thought I just fell off the bloggin-wagon but my website was actually being funky and I couldn’t log in to edit it but it is now fixed. So here I am.
But I have to do a bunch of stuff and am not really sure what to write about right now…
So I will be back.
Posted by D*ana
Do you make New Year’s Resolutions? I would say I kinda do, but I never keep them. If I had kept them, I’d be in tip top shape with no sugar/carb addiction and a super clean organized house.
This year though, I don’t really have a choice but to find a new job, so that is going to be my resolution. I’d also like to start doing some form of exercise again, and work on the sugar binging, but the main focus is to find a job. Finding a job can be stressful, so trying to do it without a bowl of ice cream would just be too much.
It isn’t that I don’t like being home with Rocco, I just don’t think I am completely cut out to be a stay at home mom.. I am bored even though I never seem to have enough time to get things done. I tried selling clothes for other people, I talked to some women who do it and make a decent extra income at it, but the amount of time it takes and the clothes all over the place… Not going to make me happy, or make me enough money, long term. I have been doing a lot of eBay too, but again, that just means crap all over the house and it isn’t a solid income.
I thought about making a career change.. going to school for something like nutrition, or being a lactation consultant since I think breastfeeding is the single best thing you can do for your baby, but the thought of starting fresh at 36 when I already have a passion I am good at just doesn’t seem right at this point. I have other interests and other things I probably could be good at, but radio is what I really love to do… The suck thing is that I do not want to move again but I think I’m starting to open my mind to the idea a little bit.
That sweet picture is me when I was 13.
I finished up my demo today… so wish me luck.
On that note, Rocco just woke up!
Posted by D*ana
I just love the smell of fresh baby puke first thing in the morning!
Seriously, the first thing I heard this morning was, “Rocco barfed!”
Of course I’m thinking a little bit of baby spit up even though that never happens anymore (he’s 15 months) but Kyla said “no, mom, like he BARFED everywhere.”
Yeah, he did and OH EM GEE IT STUNK.
It was everywhere.
And it was chunky.
It actually didn’t even look all that disgusting because it was mostly undigested carrots, chicken, pasta, and a few strawberries. It was on the crib rail, all over the sheets, in his hair, on his stuffed monkeys, on the rug, I have no idea how that much food was even inside his little belly but there it was. If not for the stench it would have been just like picking up spilled food but like I said, it REEKED.
So I’m standing there in that moment of “where do I even start cleaning this mess up?” at the same time panicking because Kyla has to be at school in 20 minutes and not only do I not have time to get it all cleaned up before we have to leave but then I’m thinking what if he hurls again and then I have a puke-mess all over my car too??
Just as I was thinking I should call Rick and see if he can come get Kyla to drop her off at school Rocco starts putting his hands in the puke so I picked him up… Straight to the tub… and as I carried him chunks were falling off him… He smeared chunks all over the toilet bowl lid and I had to get Kyla to bring me the wipes to clean it off.
Meanwhile, he is acting like nothing is wrong. He actually tried to dive into the tub like he usually does because he loves the bath. Meanwhile all I am thinking is please do not let him puke again, and please do not let this be a stomach bug, and please do not let me puke… because by this time the stink is getting to me and I am completely nauseous.
I got him out of the tub and brought a diaper to the living room because his room smelled so foul I couldn’t stand to be in there another minute.
Once he was all set I called Rick to come get Kyla and he agreed.
I didn’t know what to do with him even though he seemed to be feeling fine so I grabbed a big sheet and decided we’d hang out and play in the living room and I’d give him a cracker or something in a little bit instead of a big egg breakfast just in case he was going to yak again. I grabbed the sheet so just in case he puked I could put it down and it wouldn’t get on the rug. I don’t think a 15 month old would know what to do if I handed him a bucket and said, “if you’re gonna spew, spew into this.”
A little while later I decided to tackle the chunks all over his room. I had to pick up the pieces first because it was so chunky I didn’t want to just throw it all in the washing machine and then have to clean up all of the food that didn’t wash away… I put on my dishwashing gloves and grabbed some paper towels and held my breath and picked up the chunks as best I could, of course dropping little bits here and there… I thought I got it all and lifted the mattress to pull the sheets off and more bits fell onto the mattress, UGH. I picked all that up, wiped the mattress down, and shoved the sheets and the mattress pad in the washer, on hot, as a few more little pukey pieces fell on the floor. Then I had to wipe down the sides of the crib, pick the ick out of the rug, check his stuffed monkeys for spewage, put his puke-jamas in the wash too, wipe the toilet lid with bleach cleaner, and make sure he didn’t manage to get it on anything else.
Then I started thinking, how did I not hear him barfing this all up on the baby monitor? His fussing even just a little bit in the middle of the night wakes me up but he managed to blow the entire contents of his stomach all over his crib and I didn’t hear a thing??? Then I started to think “what if he pukes again and I don’t hear and he chokes on his own vomit” but I had to just put that out of my head!!! I really don’t know how I didn’t hear him though.
I also have a feeling that even though I meticulously tried to get every last bit of puke-chunk cleaned out of his room, the bathroom, and the laundry room, I am going to find something later and wonder “is this puke-carrot or just a carrot that I missed when I cleaned him up after dinner?”
And I still don’t know why he puked. Maybe something he ate. Maybe he just ate too much. Maybe he had a little stomach bug but it went away after one good chunk blowing and nobody else caught it? Knock on wood of course because if I wake up puking tomorrow I am going to be really pissed off… especially since I skipped doing any eBay shipping today just in case he got sick again so I have to get it all done tomorrow.
I realized at some point that I never even had any coffee today. I have coffee EVERY day. After smelling vomit and thinking I might end up puking too I had no desire to eat or drink anything so I just went the whole day without it. I did take a nap when he took a nap… and of course I GOT CAUGHT. I really don’t take naps all that often but when I do it always seems to be on a day when Rick decides to come home for a little while (to take a nap himself) and then it looks like I just nap every day when the baby naps and I really don’t.
Other things I accomplished today besides cleaning up a bedroom full of vomit – I cleaned out the refrigerator. And I don’t just mean I got rid of all the expired cheese and moldy jam, I took everything out and scrubbed the shelves in the sink and put that sucker back together. Whoever designs refrigerators needs to actually clean a fridge one day and make some improvements in how they come apart. There’s gotta be a better way than the one that requires banging around plastic and tempered glass while gritting your teeth!
I need to go to bed.
Long day of packing and shipping tomorrow!
Posted by D*ana
“My brother ate my homework!”
There’s Rocco eating Kyla’s homework yesterday. She can’t really use the “my brother ate my homework” excuse though because she should have brought it to school yesterday morning BEFORE he got his hands on it. He actually didn’t really eat it, she left it in the living room and he found it… ripped it… and then I grabbed the camera and said “are you eating big sissy’s homework?” and he put it in his mouth (such a good listener!) and I snapped the pic then got the paper out of his mouth. I know I said I was going to try to post pics that haven’t been shared on Facebook yet but this one is so cute I had to use it for the blog post.
So yeah, excuses… Well my excuse for having nothing to write about and no desire to really do much of anything is I HAVE A COLD. I really shouldn’t complain too much since it seems like everyone I know and their kids have all kinds of other yucks going on but my head is all foggy-groggy and I feel like whining anyway.
While we’re on the subject of excuses and not taking responsibility for one’s own actions, apparently there is talk of a Paul Walker crash lawsuit. Now, I’m not saying that it isn’t really sad that he and his friend who was driving died a horrible death, but THEY WERE SPEEDING and he BRAGGED ABOUT BEING A SPEED DEMON many times. Let’s just be thankful that they didn’t kill anyone else on their joyride! As for a lawsuit, apparently the 2005 Porsche his friend was driving should have been built with some kind of speeding safety frame and it wasn’t… A family filed a lawsuit years ago when a similar model crashed at over 100mph on a race track and Porsche paid them $4.5 million. I do not get how you can sue the car company when your family member drives recklessly and ends up dead, but it worked so why not, right? So far nobody has filed a lawsuit or said they are going to, but TMZ posted a story about how it could have been the faulty Porsche and not the faulty excessive speeder that caused the deadly accident.
OK, that’s all for today. At least for now anyway, maybe I’ll come up with something more interesting later.
Posted by D*ana
I did the gluten-free thing for 3.5 days. Then I felt like crap. Now, it could have been the half bottle of wine I drank last night that made me feel all fatigued and gross, but I blamed the lack of carbs and sugar and chowed down on some Annie’s organic bunny cheese crackers this afternoon. I know that lack of gluten did not make me feel sick, but I am so used to stuffing my face with all kinds of crap I think I was just hungry and didn’t have anything gluten-free and quick to fill me up so before I fainted I caved. Then I was going to jump back on the wagon and make a healthy dinner but Rick suggested pizza so I went for it. I even had some soda too, which I rarely drink. I think my problem with trying to be gluten-free is that I need to buy a whole bunch of other stuff to snack on that doesn’t have gluten in it. Or maybe I should just significantly lower the amount of wheat & sugar I eat instead of housing a 12 pack of Target cookies in 2 days. Anyway, I’m gluten-full and alcohol-free tonight.
About that rash… I have been using Dreft ever since Rocco was born (15 months ago today!) so I haven’t had any itchy-scratchy issues from laundry detergent in a while. I kind of forgot about the hives I used to wake up with on occasion and used Tide on my clothes the other day. In fact, I did several loads of my laundry in Tide, and now I have to do it all over again because that stuff gives me such a rash I might as well rub poison ivy all over my skin!! A number of people suggested All Free & Clear so I will pick that up next time. The hives were so bad this morning I was itching all over and some of the bumps were the size of my hand!! I freaked out for a minute until I remembered what I had done. Not bed bugs, not an allergic reaction from lack of gluten, it’s the freaking detergent. Of course I posted a Facebook status about waking up with hives from Tide. Then at the Thanksgiving Feast (see below) my friend says to me, in front of a bunch of other moms I don’t know, “so how are the hives doing?” Hahahhaa… Yeah, about that rash… Gotta love sharing every little mundane detail of life on Facebook!!
I hate science fair projects. We actually had a pretty good idea but it didn’t turn out the way I expected it to. I probably should have thought better about how we did it in the first place, and then of course we ended up waiting until the night before to type it all up and get it done. Since I am obsessed with clothes my idea was to test different stain removers to see which worked best. We used Oxi-Clean, vinegar, and peroxide (because I heard that those home remedies worked) and not only did the Oxi Clean work much better than the other two, the “control” shirt that didn’t get treated with anything actually washed better than the ones we soaked in vinegar and peroxide! I think the Oxi Clean had an unfair advantage because you soak the whole shirt in that mixed with water, and the peroxide and vinegar you just dab the stuff on the shirt.. I wish I had soaked all three or come up with different stuff to test and maybe we would have gotten a better result. Oh well, after some whining and yelling it’s done and hopefully she gets a good grade.
Rocco’s child care center had their Thanksgiving feast today. I went to help but I felt like crap so I just cut some bread and dished out some cranberry sauce and sat down. Rocco tried to eat corn on the cob for the first time, after dipping it in his mashed potatoes. He ate one green bean and a few little bites of cranberry sauce. No turkey, but I know he likes turkey because we eat it at home all the time. He even knows how to ask for it in sign language. Well, the sign he knows is for chicken but same thing. I have a video of him doing it, I will have to try to upload it to YouTube and figure out if I can still code it into a blog post. It’s been a while ;)
I love Harajuku Mini clothes and would like to know when Gwen Stefani is going to work on a new line for boys at Target. We have a few outfits but he outgrew some and believe it or not they are hard to find for a decent price on eBay.
There he is in one of his Harajuku rompers.
So yesterday’s post got like 50-something shares. I am astonished that 50 people even read this let alone share it since I’ve slacked off for so long.
I gotta go, I am hosting playgroup tomorrow and my house is a mess. I don’t think too many people are coming, Rocco has a bit of a runny nose so it is “come at your own risk” this week. Some of the babies already have the funk so I’ll just put some tissues out and we can have a snot-wiping fest over coffee and pumpkin muffins that I still have to make.
Posted by D*ana
There’s Kyla & her friend Paul with Selena Gomez a few weeks ago. Paul has loved Selena for years… One of my favorite things about working in the radio business and having a few “connections” has always been treating other people to cool stuff like this. And by connections, I mean I asked Toby (Kyla’s dad) if he could get them back stage and he hooked it up. They had a blast. I figure since I don’t have $372 to post the latest picture of Britney Spears grocery shopping I will just put random pics from my stash up each day since I believe all blog posts should have a picture.
So here I am posting 2 nights in a row. I freaking rule. I also got through a third day gluten free. I did have an M&M McFlurry though. Nobody said I was on a diet, the M&M McFlurry does not have gluten in it so I had one to satisfy my sweet tooth.
Let me tell you about the Loud Swedish Ladies. Actually, I don’t even think the louder of the two is even Swedish. A few weeks ago I was sitting at Kyla’s gymnastics class when this nicely dressed brunette sitting near me asked some hot blonde chick if she was Swedish. They then proceeded to have the loudest conversation ever, in Swedish, for the rest of the hour. And every Wednesday afternoon since I have listened to them bid each other hello, loudly, in Swedish, and yip away at each other as if to make sure everyone in the room knows, “WE SPEAK SWEDISH.” The blonde is off the boat Swedish but I think what really irks me is the other lady just learned the language at some point in her adult life and likes to show off her skills, and she is so beyond thrilled to have a real Swede to talk to she can’t shut up. Last week I sat as far away from them as possible so I didn’t have to over-hear them but today I ended up sitting closer and I was so irritated I texted my friend to let her know how annoyed I was. I love being able to text someone at any given moment when something ticks me off just to let them know :)
So on to Chris Brown still being angry. He was sent to rehab for anger management but was kicked out because apparently there is no managing his anger. It’s too bad, because he’s just wanted to put this whole Rihanna beating thing that happened years ago behind him but he still hasn’t been able to convince anyone that he’s a changed man. Even his mom can’t try to defend him because he was actually kicked out of rehab a few weeks ago for THROWING A ROCK AT HER CAR AND SHATTERING THE WIND SHIELD when she told him he should stay in there and work on himself. It must be so rough being him. Think about it. More money and fame than you know what to do with… ugh, I would want to throw rocks at my mother too, and beat my girlfriend up, and throw chairs out the GMA show window. Life really sucks sometimes, poor Chris Brown.
I think something must be really screwed up on this site because it looks like my post from last night got THIRTY FIVE shares. I know people share a lot of ridiculous sh*t on Facebook but my post about not posting enough with a pledge to post more? Seriously? Has to be a glitch.
That is all. I need to go to bed. We have a Thanksgiving Feast to go to tomorrow at Rocco’s school. He just goes a few days a week so I can get stuff done and take naps.
Fingers still crossed.
Posted by D*ana
Sometimes we need fires lit under our asses. I would not say I have become lazy because I feel like I am constantly doing stuff… Taking care of kids, doing dishes, doing laundry, not cleaning the rest of the house often enough, selling stuff on eBay, grocery shopping, taking Kyla to gymnastics, taking Rocco to play dates, managing Facebook Groups (yes, I do, shut up, I enjoy it), still doing a weekend radio show, but there are some things I wish I was doing that I am not doing…
Anyway, a little while ago I got a message from a friend who was driving through Orlando earlier and heard “Dana’s Dirt” but the person doing the dirt wasn’t me. She was surprised by this (of course). So I Googled and yup, there’s someone in Orlando named Dana on the radio who does Dirt. Thankfully, when I Googled her, um, well, me, or whatever, this website still came up first. Then I got mad at myself because let’s be serious, this site was pretty awesome for a while!!
This lit a fire under my ass to at least make a post considering the last one was in August!
So now what? I don’t know. But I miss writing, even if it isn’t all about celebrities. I think I need to just brush off the fact that the layout of this site is outdated and devote some time to it anyway. My goal yesterday, and again today, was to be gluten-free. And I did it. I am not making any sort of long term commitment to cutting pasta, bread, and cookies out of my diet but I’ve heard so many people say they lost weight and felt fantastic when they cut gluten out so I figured why not see if I can do it? So tomorrow I will have 2 goals, eat no gluten and come up with a blog post so that when other people call themselves Dana’s Dirt I don’t feel all poopy pants.
I am also going to kick myself because I should have copyrighted this sh*t a long time ago!!!
What to write about…
I am soooooooooooo tempted to share with you some mom group drama that went down a few months ago but it may not be a good idea… The person who helped me create this site nearly 10 years ago told me recently that I should be writing about a lot of different things that go on… Real life… is what people like to read about… I have just learned in my old age that sometimes it is better not to use things as “fodder” for a show/blog… We’ll see. I’ll sleep on it. And I hate the word fodder but it came to mind so I used it.
So on to celebrities, I still have to figure out what this whole deal is with Brittany Murphy being poisoned!!! I have really gotten into government conspiracies (I actually believe some of them but I am not going to get into all of that mess here) so I am going to have to do a little investigating to find out what happened.
I got all excited last week when I saw a story on TMZ about Charlie Sheen and Brooke Mueller getting a reality show about fighting over their kids but I guess they both said no. You have to admit, “WINNING” would have been the perfect name for a show about a custody battle!
OK that’s all for now…
Ha, can you believe it has been 10 years since I started putting that * in my name. What a dork.
PS – Keep your fingers crossed for me :)