Posted by D*ana
This is how my day started.
No wait, back up. My day actually started with scrambled eggs and HASH BROWNS for breakfast. I LOVE my breakfast potatoes and the hotel I’ve been in for the last few weeks hasn’t had any potatoes in about 9 days so when they finally served them today I was pumped. I almost didn’t bother going because I had given up but I’m glad I did.
Anyway, that’s Kyla and me with The Madden Brothers. They came to the station to play a few of their new songs. “Dear Jane” will be their next single and I really like it. I like “We Are Done” too, that’s the one you’ve probably heard on the radio recently. Joel (in the black) was really nice to Kyla, he told her he liked her Paramore shirt. I felt like I should have told him I’m sorry I said so many mean things about your wife Nicole Richie back in the day but whatever… I’m slightly less bitchy these days so we’re cool.
After The Madden Brothers I brought Kyla to her nanny’s house and then drove back to work. Let me tell you something about the drivers/traffic in DC – they suck. Suck suck suck. All around suck. Even when there aren’t any traffic jams, there are still aggressive idiot drivers all around. I grew up in Boston, I am a MASSHOLE, but the people here are just bananas. There are 4 lanes, all open, plenty of space, and there’s always got to be that tool who wants to ride your ass… why? Then there are the people who, in stopped bumper to bumper traffic, bolt into the “ends in 1000 feet” lane just to get around 10 cars and then they expect you to let them in after you waited your turn… Or the lunatics who just jump from lane to lane so they can maybe get 3 cars ahead of you and then traffic stops again and you pass them anyway. Do the weaver inner outers not realize they are the ones who cause slow-downs and accidents? I haven’t even been here three weeks and I am already over it. People are stupid. Wouldn’t it be awesome if every car had a number and an intercom and you could just punch something in and yell at the dumbass driver? Because it sucks that they never hear you cursing them out in your own car.
So the rest of my day involved scouring the web for something to post about and today was a day that nothing really jumped out at me. Some days there will be like 10 things and I can’t post/talk about all of them… Other days I scroll my news feed, Twitter, 20-30 websites, and find maybe one or two things. And these ice bucket challenge videos just keep pouring in (no pun intended) and I don’t know if people still want to see it or not. And if they do, which ones? I find it extremely bizarre that Gwyneth Paltrow did it and then challenged Chris Martin and I just saw that Lindsay Lohan did it on Jimmy Fallon tonight and who doesn’t want to see her get drenched? I was going to post those and then I decided I wanted to write here instead.
So moving sucks. Finding a place to live sucks. Filling out rental applications sucks. Figuring out how to move all of our crap sucks. And I have been eating sucky crap because I can’t cook much in a hotel room. I’ve been eating a lot of Panera but then I end up hungry around 10 or 11 at work and there’s the trusty vending machine full of obnoxiously bad crap. Like the Big Texas cinnamon roll I ate tonight. Actually, I will give myself a little credit, it was so sweet nasty I ended up throwing about a quarter of it away because I just couldn’t eat it anymore. Then I came home and made a batch of pasta-roni, another terrible GMO chemical preservative packed choice. Oh well, it won’t kill me today… it’ll just make me feel like total crap tomorrow. PS – and I am drinking a Coke. Crap. Crap and suck are apparently my favorite words tonight.
Well moving on to positive things, my new job is awesome. It’s fun. Even though I am working late and getting used to a new schedule and the traffic I have to deal with to get there some days is crappy and sucky it’s worth it. I had a good chat about music and radio and formats and new formats and stuff with some co-workers and it was nice to feel like I am a part of something I really enjoy again. I also found out I have some pretty cool stuff to give away next week on the air so that will be fun. And Tuesday the station is having an ice cream party for me at Ben & Jerry’s so that’s pretty awesome too. I’ll take the pretty cool and pretty awesome along with the sucky and crappy I guess.
OK I have to force myself to go to bed now. Part of my problem is I’ve been staying up until 2 or 3 in the morning and I wake up at 7. Usually I go back to sleep for a little bit and then get up for breakfast around 9 but that’s still only 6 hours of sleep at most and I am getting old, I need more. Haven’t had time for any naps either and of course everyone knows when you are a “SAHM” all you really do is nap all day so… yeah.
I have plans to re-do this site soon, just a matter of finding time. Going for a much cleaner layout and getting rid of all the clutter.
Posted by D*ana
Posted by D*ana
If hanging out in a hotel suite eating oreos is fun, then yes – this is Sunday Funday.
It is absolutely beautiful outside but I am just not feeling up for doing anything today. I have a ton of running around to do this week so I’m hanging out watching HGTV and still stewing over the fact that there haven’t been any hash browns with the free breakfast since last weekend. Seriously, potatoes should be a staple. They have scrambled eggs EVERY morning which is fantastic, but I do not want grits or corned beef mush or french toast sticks with my eggs – I want taters!!
Christina Aguilera had her baby yesterday. I read that she wanted to do VBAC (vaginal birth after c-section for those who may not be up on the baby-related lingo) but I guess it didn’t work out for her. I am dying to find out what she named this child… Her son is Max, very cute and normal, so hopefully she doesn’t try to get all artsy-fartsy with her girl.
Taylor Swift did the ice bucket challenge before her VMA rehearsal yesterday. She and Jamie Green donated $100 for every person in their crew that did it with them… so thousands, in cash, AND they dumped the water all over each other anyway. Am I the only a-hole who hasn’t dumped a bucket of ice water over my head and/or donated? I can’t be. I haven’t been challenged anyway. Don’t get any ideas though, I am not doing it… and I honestly don’t really have $100 to donate right now. That doesn’t make me a bad person, that makes me honest. I have donated to plenty of other causes so I’m not going to feel bad about sitting this one out. I also donated about 20 boxes full of stuff to various charities when I was packing our house up to move so that counts for something, right?
Yesterday I took Kyla school shopping at Justice. Thankfully she mostly picked out stuff I actually liked. By “liked” I mean “didn’t hate.” Sometimes she chooses the most heinous looking thing in the store. A while back they had this one line of dresses with pleather and studs and they looked all dominatrix. Of course she went for one and I had to say no, I wouldn’t even let her try it on. Yesterday she grabbed a fluorescent pink thing with black lace and when I said no she insisted, “but it looks like what Paramore would wear, I love Paramore!”
I love Paramore too, but my 10 year old is not going to her new school dressed like Hayley Williams.
Speaking of the new school, we have to go get her registered tomorrow. It’s an “A” school in Montgomery County, MD which I’ve been told is one of the top school districts in the country. She went to a few good schools in FL but I think it might be a little more challenging here. She’s been an Honor Roll student since the beginning so fingers crossed she continues to do well. I am nervous for her, being the “new girl” is never easy but she is not shy so I think she’ll be OK. She keeps telling me she’s not worried about it.
I’m also going to look at a bunch of places to live tomorrow. The one I LOVED fell through. This jackwagon sent me a lease and made plans to sign it “sometime next week”, told me he needed a security deposit at signing and first month’s right when we move in. Said we could set it up to auto-pay from bank account after that. Told me the condo association would be re-doing some of the railings and stuff outside. I messaged him Monday morning to ask when we would be meeting to sign the lease and he responded and said he was going to rent it to someone else! WHO DOES THAT?
So now I am back to square one. I looked at a place in that same complex yesterday… It was cute, but the people there now have a dog and the carpet is a mess… bunched in places and obviously full of dog hair. The appliances are all different (black old stove, white dishwasher, new stainless steel fridge) and since we are working with a pretty limited budget at this point I can’t be TOO picky but that mis-matchiness bothered me. There is one place out of the 8 I am checking out tomorrow that looks REALLY nice and is in the perfect location so fingers crossed it works out.
I am hoping to get on a whole bunch of stations now that I’m “back in the game”… I already have one lined up to start September 15th. Woot!
I think I’m going to go take a nap. I’ve been getting up at 7:30-8 each morning and not going to bed until around 2am. I need more than 6 hours sleep a night in my old age.
Oh, one more thing – you will be pumped about this if you don’t already know – Starbucks is bringing back the Pumpkin Spice Latte early this year!
Posted by D*ana
— Dana's Dirt! (@danasdirt) August 14, 2014
Not only am I back on this website… But I am back on the radio – full time – in a big city!
When you’re a baby DJ your dream is usually to make it to a major/top 10 market… and here I am!
I am the new night girl on 94.7 Fresh FM in Washington, DC.
I say girl as if I’m still 22, but whatever.
I’ve been here just over a week and I’m loving it so far. Kyla’s dad has been here for years so she is psyched we’re going to live in the same town. My boyfriend & our soon-to-be 2 year old son are still in Tampa ’til the end of the month.
I stopped doing this site a while back partially because I could no longer afford the ridiculous cost of licensing pictures… But I have found some ways to work around that without getting myself sued so I will be back soon.
I’m also going to be doing a lot of work on the station website (of course) so if you’ve missed me, you can find me there too.
I have to hop in the shower and get ready for work but I will post again soon.
In the meantime, here are some links so you can find me… and of course you can also listen to me online every weeknight from 7pm to midnight!
And here are a few stories I posted this week:
I will have more. I am so excited to be back to doing what I love to do!
Posted by D*ana
Facebook is 10 years old today.
So here are 10 things I never want to see you post on Facebook ever again:
1. Your naked children. Boys or girls, 1 or 8, most people on Facebook do not want to see your children naked – or even in their underwear. I know you think what they are doing is cute, and it probably is since you are their parents, but those pictures just don’t need to be shared with everyone on your friends list. They just don’t.
2. Your child’s poopie in the potty or puke all over the floor. Shit happens. And when it happens in the potty for the first time it is extremely exciting. Worthy of celebration. In fact I even celebrate every time Rocco sits on his little potty and reads a book even though he has yet to actually do anything on that potty. He does it in his diaper 5 minutes later but that is irrelevant. Nobody wants to see your kid’s poopie. We also don’t want to see their puke. You can tell us the kid blew chunks but please spare us the sight of the actual vomit.
3. Pictures and videos of dead/abused animals. I eat chicken. I eat a lot of chicken. I try to buy chicken that was not abused now that I have read about what happens to animals, but seeing the dead carcasses just makes me want to block it out. And it’s gross. There are just some things that are too graphic for Facebook. I see plenty of graphic pictures of things that make me angry but I just don’t post them. Please stop with the bloody animals.
4. Pictures and videos of abused children. You know what, I know child abuse exists. We all know this. If I see or hear about a child in danger I will call the authorities. I think most of us with a good conscience would do what we could to prevent a child from being harmed. I do not need you to share the latest story of a mother murdering her baby or a video of a child being beaten to know that this type of atrocity exists. I just don’t want to see it. Sharing it does not do anything for that child but it does give attention to the perpetrators. It also causes other people who are just going about their day to be overcome with a feeling of disgust and sadness. Spare us, don’t share it.
5. Your relationship drama. Been there done that. I put a lot of my relationship and other drama on Facebook in the past. It only served to make me look crazy and it made me look like a real fool when I got back together with the person once I told everyone what a douche he was. I will occasionally comment on my personal experience in a private group, but bashing your significant other, or your ex-for-now, or the other parent if you share a child, is just bad. Also, if you are constantly moving from one relationship to the next… We just don’t need to know. We also don’t need to CONSTANTLY see how fantastic and wonderful your significant other is, especially when we know that behind the scenes it is a different story. Don’t be someone else’s “Days of Our Facebook Lives” source of entertainment.
6. Ambiguous posts. “I can’t say why or where or how right now but I really need all the prayers I can get” posts just make people wonder. Yes they’ll hope everything is OK and pray for you if they pray, but then you leave them thinking “what the hell is going on?” and possibly thinking the worst and that’s just irritating and rude! If you can’t reveal the information to EVERYONE ON YOUR FRIENDS LIST then text someone you trust and spill it instead of leaving everyone wondering and worrying.
7. Bodily fluids, cuts, rashes, or anything you need Doctor Facebook to diagnose. Kyla has a pretty gross boo-boo on her knee (she fell off her bike) and I am a little concerned about how it is healing… will be taking her to the doctor soon if it doesn’t look better… But I will not post a picture of it on Facebook because it’s gross! Boogers, blood, busted finger nails, broken bones, if it needs medical attention ask for a nurse to PM you. Before you post a picture like this on Facebook your thought should be: Would I want to see this while I was eating? Because chances are someone who will see it just sat down to eat!
8. More than 25% of your posts solely to promote your business. I have used Facebook to promote radio shows, my website, and things I am selling on eBay/Facebook but unless you are running a business page please try to limit the amount of posts you make about your business. Half my friends are doing the same thing, and some of them are selling the same thing you are, and I like seeing your personal posts but there are just some products I am never going to buy no matter how many times they show up in my news feed. There is nothing wrong with social networking but I like the “social” part of Facebook a lot more than the “networking” part when it comes to ads for things I see over and over and over and over again.
9. Game and app invites. I know sometimes this happens automatically when you sign up but I have no desire to play any of these games or use any Facebook apps. I choose to waste my time on Facebook debating things or going through random people’s pictures, I don’t play games.
10. Racist or homophobic sentiments. You are entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your religion. But it is 2014 and anyone who still believes in racial inequality or inequality based on which gender one happens to be attracted to needs to shut up. There are plenty of issues with two or more legitimate sides to debate, but only fellow ignorant people want to hear about your bigoted beliefs. You are never going to convince people to stop believing in human equality.
10 Things to Keep Right On Posting…
1. Cute pictures of your kids, you, the fun stuff you are doing, as long as everyone is fully clothed and not covered in yucky bodily fluids. I like looking at pictures of happy people.
2. Informational articles. I know some people don’t want to read stuff about GMOs, vaccines, government waste, the environment, Fukishima, and other important matters but if I can say one positive thing about my experience using Facebook it is that I have LEARNED a lot. Whether you agree with my opinions on certain topics or not, it is through the sharing of information on Facebook that has led me to investigate and “self-educate” with regard to parenting, government, health, my overall view of the world, and even less important things like the other side of the Woody Allen-Mia Farrow molestation debate. It’s great how you can post something and someone else can give you a different side of the story and then you can decide for yourself which one makes more sense. So if it is informative, well written, researched, and seemingly legitimate, keep sharing it.
3. Your accomplishments. I like reading about people I care about getting promotions, graduating, or losing weight. I also love hearing about kids making honor roll or seeing pictures of their dance recitals. Keep posting that stuff. The only exception to this would be constantly telling us that you went to the gym/worked out. Not to hate, but it makes me feel lazy.
4. Those someecards things. They are funny. Some of them are funnier than others but usually they are pretty good.
5. Pictures of the snow and ice. I live in Florida. My back slider is open so the fresh 76 degree air can breeze through the house. Sometimes I get a little homesick and wish I still lived up north and those miserable pictures remind me of why I love living here.
6. Truth. Whatever it is you believe to be true, and important, keep posting it respectfully. You never know when you might change someone’s mind for the better.
7. Tributes/posts to the dead. I know some people might think it is cheesy, but I think after 10 years of Facebook we probably all have a friend or two who has passed. In those initial moments of shock and sadness the Facebook page is a way for all of the loved ones to come together in mourning and share information. I have even re-connected with people after seeing that a mutual friend has passed away. Nobody wants to see the sad news on Facebook but at the same time, what is the other option these days? Unless it is a close family member you may not even know until years later if you hadn’t keep in touch this way. I occasionally look at the pages of my friends who have passed and read the recent comments or look at old pictures. It’s like visiting a grave only not as depressing. Nothing wrong with remembering someone you loved and keeping them alive on Facebook forever.
8. Pictures of your life tricks and home improvement projects. I like to see crafty stuff or get new ideas. Not that I have the money, time, or motivation to put most of them into action but we got the idea to put a laundry basket in the bath tub from a Facebook post and it worked well for us for a bit. I also got some inspiration for Rocco’s room from someone else’s pictures on Facebook.
9. GOOD NEWS. Feel good stories, whatever they may be, are much needed to offset all of the horrifying stuff people insist on posting as mentioned in list above.
10. Pictures of your yummy food and drink – but only if you have the recipe. I know this is one of the things people make fun of others for doing on Facebook, but I actually like seeing pictures of other people’s food! I only want to see it if I can get the recipe though. I’ve seen lots of food pictures on Facebook that have led to me getting the recipe and eating something new. I don’t need to see a picture of your Cheerios but if you just made something healthy and tasty (or just tasty) I might want to try it!
Posted by D*ana
Look at that sweet kid!
This whole Justin Bieber thing is just really sad. All jokes and making fun of him aside, the kid has a great story but he’s been completely corrupted by fame!
I totally loved his Never Say Never movie. It was uplifting and dare I even say inspiring… kid coming from a not-so-good situation to getting discovered on YouTube and then having everything handed to him on a silver platter… But as with all of these kids they get corrupted by the adults around them.
I guess now that I have a 9yo and a 1yo I look at this stuff a little different than I did 10 years ago when I started this blog – yes it has been TEN YEARS!
Justin Bieber is only 19 years old which means he’s only been a legal adult for a year, and he isn’t even of legal drinking age in the US (I know he’s from Canada where he can drink to his heart’s content but he spends a lot of time here so you get my drift..)
Anyway, I guess my point is WHO ARE THE ADULTS THAT ARE SUPPOSED TO BE LOOKING OUT FOR HIS BEST INTERESTS LONG-TERM??? Who has not only been buying him alcohol but getting him into this sizzurp crap and Xanax? I know teenagers are going to do what they do but you would think people in his life would be taking care of him and keeping him on a good path instead of letting him hang out with the thugs and trash that got him into this stuff!! Thankfully Britney Spears has straightened out and grown up… more than we can say for Lindsay Lohan… but Justin Bieber is about to be the next star to fall…
How freaking dumb do you have to be to have a house full of drugs and other illegal stuff that is going to incriminate you with the law and with the public if you get caught but you go egging your neighbor’s house like a 14 year old punk… Even with bazillions of dollars that is still the only thing a teenage boy wants to do? So now his house has been searched in full Hollywood raid style and now he’s going to act even more crazy and angry… It’s all just so stupid!!
Or maybe not, because the lead detective on the egging case (yes, when you are rich, your house being egged, especially by a celebrity, is worthy of a full investigation and SWAT Team raid), anyway the lead detective told the NY Daily News that they weren’t there looking for drugs they were there to get his surveillance equipment so they could catch him egging his neighbor’s house on tape.
Yes, they were raiding his house to see if there is any video of him egging his neighbor’s house on his own equipment… Anyone not high on weed and drunk on sizzurp would have had the smarts to at least shut off his security system so as not to catch himself in the act, right?
So anyway there is apparently a big bong, cookie jars full of weed, empty codeine and Fanta bottles, and plenty of evidence that he’s smoking weed and mixing prescription drugs but the police weren’t there for that so he’s not going to be in trouble for it.
They did, however, arrest his friend Lil Za because he had drugs in his room and admitted they were his so it “was right in our face.” He had MDMA, weed, and a prescription drug that he did not have a prescription for (because nobody who actually has a prescription for the drug abuses it of course).
Not that I am for or against weed or sizzurp, but does anyone know anyone who could have the police at their house to investigate something so petty as an egging and the cops find a “treasure trove” of drug paraphernalia and they don’t get in any kind of trouble for it??? WHAT?????????
So anyway, Justin could be charged with vandalism for doing $20,000 worth of damage to his neighbor’s stucco and imported wood exterior. His friend is facing felony drug possession charges and ended up smashing the wall of his cell so he’s gonna be charged with vandalism too.
What does Justin have to say about all of this? Well it just so happens that 5 minutes ago he posted this on Twitter:
Because it’s awesome to use a Martin Luther King, Jr. quote on MLK day to sum up the state of your ridiculously misguided life.
Posted by D*ana
So I bet you thought I just fell off the bloggin-wagon but my website was actually being funky and I couldn’t log in to edit it but it is now fixed. So here I am.
But I have to do a bunch of stuff and am not really sure what to write about right now…
So I will be back.
Posted by D*ana
Do you make New Year’s Resolutions? I would say I kinda do, but I never keep them. If I had kept them, I’d be in tip top shape with no sugar/carb addiction and a super clean organized house.
This year though, I don’t really have a choice but to find a new job, so that is going to be my resolution. I’d also like to start doing some form of exercise again, and work on the sugar binging, but the main focus is to find a job. Finding a job can be stressful, so trying to do it without a bowl of ice cream would just be too much.
It isn’t that I don’t like being home with Rocco, I just don’t think I am completely cut out to be a stay at home mom.. I am bored even though I never seem to have enough time to get things done. I tried selling clothes for other people, I talked to some women who do it and make a decent extra income at it, but the amount of time it takes and the clothes all over the place… Not going to make me happy, or make me enough money, long term. I have been doing a lot of eBay too, but again, that just means crap all over the house and it isn’t a solid income.
I thought about making a career change.. going to school for something like nutrition, or being a lactation consultant since I think breastfeeding is the single best thing you can do for your baby, but the thought of starting fresh at 36 when I already have a passion I am good at just doesn’t seem right at this point. I have other interests and other things I probably could be good at, but radio is what I really love to do… The suck thing is that I do not want to move again but I think I’m starting to open my mind to the idea a little bit.
That sweet picture is me when I was 13.
I finished up my demo today… so wish me luck.
On that note, Rocco just woke up!